I first started making this quick pickle recipe to adorn my home made Bahn Mi Sandwich Recipe and my traditional Vietnamese Noodle Bowl, Bun Thit Nuong Cha Gio. I have since continued to make this recipe regularly. I have a tendency to over purchase vegetables, because they all look so delicious, I have trouble scaling back. Fortunately, I have a quick pickle recipe ready for just this occasion.
I enjoy the umami flavor of the fish sauce in this recipe, it just adds that extra something! However, the important part is to keep equal amounts salt and sugar so fish sauce can be omitted and substituted with Kosher salt. The garlic is also optional and can decrease or increase based on preference, I have also added a tablespoon of minced ginger to this recipe in the past. The Red Pepper Flake is again completely optional and can be adjusted to fit your taste. The vinegar can also be substituted with white wine vinegar, red wine vinegar or even just white vinegar. It’s such an easy quick recipe I like making it a little different everytime by throwing fresh herbs into the jars as well.
You can pickle almost any vegetable and even water melon rinds would be delicious pickled. Get creative and enjoy the adventure.
- 1 cup Rice Vinegar
- 1 cup Water, boiling
- 1/2 tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tablespoon Fish Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 5 cups Vegetable of choice, julienned
- Add salt, sugar, fish sauce, garlic and red pepper flakes to a bowl of choice.
- Pour hot water into the bowl, mix until everything is combined.
- Add rice vinegar mix again.
- Pour mixture over vegetable of choice, make sure all veggies are covered.
- Allow flavors to marry for at least 30 minutes, preferably over night.
- Enjoy for up to 3 weeks in the fridge.