Ok, this is not just a trend…it is actually really good! When this trend came out, my sister-in-law and best friecame over to my house and insisted that we make this coffee trend she had seen all over social media. At the time, I was taking a break from social media because it was the middle of the summer in 2020, and all that was anywhere was doom and gloom, so I had missed out on the trend.
Because of the trend when we tried to order instant coffee, the stores were all out! You remember the scarcity of toilet paper, baking goods, and apparently instant coffee? So we were able to get instant espresso packets which turned out to be even better for us because we both love strong coffee.
Now, I will say when looking at the fancy pictures all over Tik Tok, I really thought it was going to be something that was fairly difficult. Well, the truth is, it is so easy. Now knowing how to make it, the concept makes sense to me. When you heat sugar and whip it with hot water, it essentially makes a type of mousse or meringue by beating air into the particles and melting the sugar at the same time.
Enough talking….let’s get down to it!
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee or espresso
- 2 tablespoons regular sugar
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- Ice and your favorite milk (I prefer oatmilk or almond milk)
- In a small mixing bowl, add the sugar and espresso, then add the hot water. Mix until fluffy with either a stand mixer, a hand mixer, or a regular whisk…although, I do not recommend the last because it will take you way longer and give your arm a serious workout.
- Once the coffee mixture is whipped to your liking, grab a clear glass and put in your ice and your milk while leaving about an inch and a half to the top for your whipped topping. Now, I tried the whipped coffee by itself, and I loved the bitter yet sweet flavor of it, but if you are not into strong coffee, I do not recommend doing this.
- Spoon your whipped coffee onto the top of the milk with again about an inch and a half of the topping.
- This is important. Take your photos first before drinking because what you do now, is mix the drink thoroughly to incorporate the milk and the whipped topping. I was slightly disappointed in this because you really don’t get the texture of the whipped coffee once you mix it together, but if you do not mix it together, you will be drinking either milk or whipped coffee separately.
Altogether, it is very good mixed, but you have to let go of all the work you did for the whipped portion because you simply have to mix it together with the milk which makes the whipped portion go bye, bye. Again, take your pictures before you Enjoy!