Like my favorite sandwich, Bahn Mi, this is my take on one of my top picks for takeout from our local Vietnamese joint. Unfortunately, we moved away from the city and far enough away from a takeout restaurant that it became necessary for me to create my own variations of these delicious meals.
I have been actively introducing more vegetables into my daily meals and reducing the amount of processed foods in my diet. However, I still want to maintain the flavor profiles that I know and love. While I’m not eliminating anything from my diet, I have found the more healthy options I add into my meals, the less carbs end up on my plate.
- 1 lb Shredded pork, Instant Pot Pulled Pork Recipe
- 1 can sliced Bamboo Shoots
- 3 Carrots, shredded
- 1 Cucumber, julienned
- 1 cup Rice Vinegar
- 1 cup Water
- 4 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon Fish Sauce
- 2 Zucchini, spiralized
- 1/4 Head Iceburg Lettuce, shredded
- 5 Spring Onions, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch Cilantro, chopped
- Lime wedge for serving
- Garlic Chili Sauce to taste
- Start by creating a quick pickling liquid for the carrot and cucumber. Here is the link to my Quick Pickle Recipe.
- Combine Rice Vinegar, water, garlic, red pepper flakes, sugar, fish sauce and salt.
- I also like to add ginger and jalapeno to the mix, but this is optional.
- Whisk until combined.
- Pour over carrots and cucumber.
- Stir occasionally.
- Mixture needs at least 30 minutes to marry all the flavors.
- I like to use the Pulled Pork from my favorite Instant Pot Pulled Pork recipe, a good substitute would be a thinly sliced pork roast, or thinly sliced pork chops quick seared on high heat in vegetable oil. The meat should be warmed on high heat prior to assembling the bowl, the goal is a few crusty brown edges.
- Blanch the spiralized zucchini in well salted water for 2-3 minutes, until tender. Transfer directly to an ice bath. Once cooled place on paper towels to dry prior to assembling bowls.
- Prep remaining ingredients.
- Assemble Bowls:
- 1/2 cup Iceburg Lettuce
- 1 cup of zucchini noodles
- 1/2 cup shredded pork
- 1/2 cup pickled carrots and cucumber
- 1/4 cup bamboo shoots
- 1 tablespoons Cilantro
- 1 tablespoon Chili Garlic Sauce, My Favorite Brand
- 2 tablespoon Green Onion
- 1 table spoon pickling liquid
- Squeeze a wedge of lime over bowl
Leave a Reply