Although Pesto is readily available from the store, nothing beats the flavor of one prepared fresh at home. I like to double this recipe, cook with half and the freeze the other for a quick dinner another evening. The following is my go to Spinach Walnut Pesto that I use in Shrimp Pesto Pasta, marinades, a dressing for salads, add a little mayo for a delicious dip for veggies, the uses are limitless!
- 2 Cups Spinach
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Walnuts (Pine Nuts can be used)
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1/8 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/8 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- Add all your ingredients into a food processor or high powdered blender.
- Blend, scraping down as necessary, until desired consistency.
- Serve on top of pasta.
This recipe can easily be made vegan by substituting in a vegan parmesan cheese alternative that’s readily available at most grocery stores. As noted above pine nuts can substitute the walnuts. I like the taste and texture of the walnuts and they are a less expensive alternative.