Recently, Starbucks came out with another fabulous drink for me to spend my money on when I am in need for some caffeine while out running errands. However, I spend WAY too much on Starbucks as most of us do. In an effort to save money while also getting the coffee cravings quenched, I have recreated the new Brown Sugar Shaken Espresso with Oat Milk Drink. So follow along for an inexpensive and delicious copycat recipe that is sure to keep you perky while not breaking the bank!
I love strong coffee and always get a Vente with an extra shot of espresso, the drinks from Starbucks will usually run me about 5-7+ dollars. I don’t know about the average person, but that kind of money on a daily or even every other day basis is an expensive habit. As we continue on our discovery of all things that make us happy, my sister and I are working on savoring experiences while also not breaking the bank.
Speaking of not breaking the bank…I kind of broke my bank by taking advantage of spending their money…well, I earned it to be fair. Let’s talk briefly about the benefits of reward programs working in your favor. If you are going to spend your money anyway, make sure that you sign-up or find accounts that will also give you added benefits of cost savings, rewards, air miles, or even cash back.
My credit union has a rewards program based on the use of my husband and my debit cards which I did not realize had reached a point of being able to get something really amazing for no cost to me at the time. An espresso machine….specifically, a Breville Nespresso maker.She is fabulous in all of her glory!
Literally, coffee is the centerpiece of my daily life, but we also love coffee with dessert at any family gathering or dinner at our house with friends. In fact, my family and friends love the way the Nespresso machine tastes with steamed milk, that they enjoy a cappuccino or latte when visiting. Two of my girlfriends actually went as far as purchasing their own because the investment in a Nespresso machine over time would save them money rather than frequenting their favorite coffee shops.
To get started, you do need to add a few crucial things to your grocery list, but with the ingredients you will buy, you will be able to make many more coffee beverages than one expensive Vente coffee. Oh and best of all, absolutely no line!
- 2 Nespresso Pods (can substitute 2 tbsp. instant espresso Cafe Bustelo)
- 1 Tablespoon of Light Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Regular Coffee
- 1 cup of Ice
- 1 Tablespoons of Oak Milk
Per Serving: 8 Fl Oz | 127 calories
Begin by getting your favorite cup to hold iced coffee. The cup should be able to hold at least 8 fluid ounces or more with ice. If you have a Nespresso Machine, get your two favorite pods and following these directions:
- Place 1 tablespoon of light brown sugar into your selected cup.
- Begin to load your machine with one pod and select a normal espresso serving size.
- Position the cup with brown sugar under the machine and dispense your two espresso pods. It is critical that you use hot espresso to melt the brown sugar (Starbucks uses a syrup, and we are using the natural sugar).
- Once that is done, take a spoon and stir the espresso and brown sugar until it is completely melted and slightly foaming.
- Then add your 1 cup of ice into the glass and stir that with the spoon vigorously.
- Add in the remaining coffee and extra ice depending on how much the ice has melted.
- Lastly, add in the oat milk, stir one more time and enjoy!
If you are substituting the instant espresso for the Nespresso pods, follow the same recipe, but instead of steps 2 & 3 do the following two steps:
- Take 2 packets (2 tbsp.) of instant coffee and add it to the brown sugar.
- Add in equal parts hot water (2 tbsp.) then follow the remaining steps.
When I made this today and created a how to video, what I did not show you all is the pure satisfaction on my face while I took my lovely iced latte and went to the back porch to sit in the beautiful Florida weather while enjoying my time with my animals. Sometimes, it is the simplest of things that can bring us the most pleasure and bliss!
Leave a Reply